Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 26, 2011 Grandpa Heaton's 89th Birthday

Happy 89th Birthday Grandpa Heaton!
Volma Heaton, Eden, Kael
Derek,
I feel so blessed that we live in Salt Lake City. I have never gotten to know my Dad's family as well as I would have liked growing up and I am now given this opportunity. I have always loved visiting them as a child, spending summers at houses, family reunions, camp outs, and visiting Grandpa's house.

Today is my Grandpa's 89th birthday. He has lived a pretty amazing life so far. I am so glad the kids and I were able to attend his birthday party at his house yesterday with the kids. It has been so long since I  have been to his house. As we were driving the road to get to his house memories came flooding back to me. I could remember a specific bridge, riding a horse down a specific road, and just seeing his house again was so familiar. I was very nostalgic. I loved seeing all the familiar faces. It was awesome. I think I must have had a lot of social anxiety as a kid or was just plain afraid of people. I remember always feeling a little uncomfortable at these kind of social gatherings. However, I had no sense of fear as I came to my family. I think everything intimidated me as a child. Anyway, I can't even describe the feeling of welcome and love and the sense of belonging to my family. I hadn't seen so many of these people in so long, yet it was like we just picked up from where we started. I think that will be a little like when we return home after this life to live with Heavenly Father. It will be a lot like seeing my Grandpa after a really long time.

While we were there my Grandpa bore his testimony. It was really quite wonderful. I can't remember ever hearing my Grandpa bear his testimony. I was talking to my Mom and she said the times he did at certain events, I was probably too little to remember. For this reason alone I am glad I went.

My Grandpa talked a little of his life. He is the last of his siblings alive. He talked about his High Priest group and how they were trying to find out who was a High Priest the longest, and that he had that title in his ward. He was made a High Priest at a young age in life. He talked about the importance of the Priesthood, and how it can do wonderful things. He said when he was called to the High Priesthood he went to his Grandmother's house to tell her, and how she was so excited and happy she was able to see one more High Priest in her family. He said he was ordained in 1951. (That was the year my Dad was born. My Dad is turning 60 this year.) He talked about his mission when he was young. He served in Texas, and he didn't baptize one convert. He said that it was hard, and then he talked about his Patriarchal Blessing. He then told us all that he recently went in to have his pace maker removed and to place a new one. You see my Grandpa is a farmer. He has worked so hard every day of his life, and he continues to do so. He has animals to care for and he has his garden he works on every day even at 89. The doctors told him usually when someone gets a pace maker they lead very inactive lives. He had used his to the point of exhausting it. He told us he felt like he was not going to live through this surgery. He then told us that he prayed to Heavenly Father that if he was worthy he would let him have a little extra time here on earth to be with his family. He told us the Priesthood is powerful and it can save lives, heal, and do many miraculous things. My Uncle went on later to tell us that he died on the operating table. The doctors had to bring him back to life. This was an answer to his prayers. My Grandpa has a little longer to be with us. He told us he loves all of us, and wants to see us and continue to see more of the little ones join his family. I'm grateful I was able to see him. To hear his testimony. To know a little more of him through his words. My Grandpa also talked of the importance of family and the church. To teach our families about the church, so share our testimonies, and to be strong in the church.

I love my Grandpa so much and I am grateful for this experience. I wish you could have been there with us.

I hope we get to see our posterity like my Grandpa. How amazing would that be?
I'll be seeing you at 89, OK!?!

Love you,
Sharice

No comments: