Saturday, July 12, 2014

The time I was a patient in the emergency room

When we got back from Disneyland we all got sick. Too little sleep, too many late nights, and fun overload took its toll on us. 
I got had a sore throat one day and the next day my ear started hurting. Derek looked at it and it was red, so we didn't think anything of it and decided to just let it be. I didn't sleep at all the night and was in so much pain. By 7 am I was looking up instacares to go to. I finally found one that opened at 10 am and went there. My ear drum had ruptured by this point in a short 24 hour period and they tested me for strep throat, which came back positive. My first ever real strep throat and I couldn't tell my throat hurt at all because of how bad my ear hurt. I got antibiotics and they gave me a shot in the bum of tordol for the pain. My first bum shot. I have given a lot of those, but never been on the receiving end... I got home and things just kept getting worse. By about 5 oclock I was done and Derek was getting worried, so we dropped the kids off at a neighbors and I got to experience my first patient ER visit. I must have not looked great and it must have been pretty quiet that night because it didn't take long to get some morphine and zophran. I got my first ever CT scan that night which showed some fluid behind my ear, so they kept me over night to be safe and started me on IV antibiotics. I felt so silly because all of this was over my ear hurting... I went home the next morning on some stronger pain medication, but wasn't prescribed any anti nausea medicine. Turns out Elara had an ear infection too and Kael had a huge lump on his neck so Derek took them to the instacare. Elara got on antibiotics and Kael was tested for strep throat which came back negative, but a few days later his culture came back positive. While at the instacare Derek got me a prescription for anti nausea and that finally helped me keep my medicine down. 3 days later I started getting worse again, but my ear stopped draining so we went to see the ENT doctor. They ended up putting a tube in my ear (worst pain ever in my life) and sent me to the emergency room again. They did a lumbar puncture for meningitis and another CT scan. Everything was ok, so we went home after learning that Demerol is my new favorite drug, so much better than morphine! I also got meclizine for the room spinning, which helped so so much! After about 10 days being flat on my back, I came out of my hobbit hole and was alive again with a renewed sense of gratitude for our amazing bodies and what they are capable of. Grateful for my health and the health of my family!
Words cannot express how amazing Derek is! We were so blessed all of this happened when it did. He was able to be home with the kids and to be my nurse/doctor. If it wasn't for his quick thinking on what to do a simple ear infection could have been a lot worse. He is my hero. My best friend. He has taken care of me at my worst. He blesses our family. Heavenly Father watches out for us, and we are stronger because of times like these. Our amazing friends helped out so much. We had prayers and blessings poured out. Our gratitude is endless. My gratitude is endless. 
Thank you.

No comments: