Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Grandpa's Funeral July 25, 2013


To start the funeral process, my brother Jerris and sister Shellianne flew in and stopped by my apartment before going to the first viewing. What does Uncle Jerris do when he comes for a visit? He spoils us rotten! Yup, you can't come to Utah on the 24th of July without getting some fireworks. And that is what Uncle Jerris got us. If you have to have a funeral I say the best way to say good bye is with some fireworks. Go out with a bang. Ya know.

That night Jerris and Shell helped me chase after my 3 kids at the viewing at the funeral home. It was nice because I got to see family I wouldn't have seen otherwise and it let the kids see Grandma and Grandpa for a few minutes. I would have preferred not to have to take the kids to a "viewing", but in the end I think it turned out good. It was difficult to explain why great Grandpa was sleeping. I realized that every time our pets die and we say they went to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus there is no body to show them to say goodbye because I flushed both fish down the sink... oops. So, seeing Grandpa's body they didn't understand. They were very respectful as far as kids go when they got to see Great Grandpa and we got to talk about how Grandpa's body is sleeping and now his spirit is in Heaven with Heavenly Father and Jesus. And Kael and Eden had to add with Seymore and Fishy the fish. Yes, yes with your fish too...

Shellianne brought her baby Jenna who is about 5 months younger than Elara. Elara knew she was bigger than Jenna and just kept clobbering her. Poking her eyes out. And who knows what else. But, man, they sure were cute together.

The next morning was the funeral service. It was simply peaceful. I had a sweet friend in my ward who watched Kael and Eden so I only had Elara with me. We got to say our last good byes to Grandpa. And all who spoke at the service shared wonderful memories of Grandpa and about his life. They shared the things Grandpa would want us to hear. About how important family is. My brothers and sisters all sang together for the first time in a long long time. I think it made my parents happy to see us all together. 

Then, came the graveside service. Grandpa was in the Marine's so there were military men there to do a service. It was one of the most touching experiences. To hear the horn play in real life touches your heart. To me it's a mark that no matter what the person who died did at least one really great thing in their life. They served, and that is really important to me. It makes me nervous for when it will be Derek's turn to serve, but it also makes me grateful that we will have our turn to do something great in our lives.


Really, for such a sad day, there was a lot of happiness. Grandpa had a great long life. He did many wonderful things, and I'm really grateful that he didn't have to suffer as he left this life. It was nice to just celebrate his life and that he is in a better place. That I know for sure.

I really loved being able to see all my family. That I guess is the positive to a funeral. It brings families together. And, I love my family.


Joshua, Shannon, Jacob, Dad, Mom, Jerris, Jonathan, Shellianne, and Sharice


And you know what? I think my family loves me too. It's a good feeling.


All of my Uncles, Dad, and brother Jerris were pall bearers. My brother Jerris filled in for my Uncle Jerris who died when he was only 3ish years old. All of Grandpa's son's were together to bury him.


My Dad's last goodbye. I really can't imagine what that must be like.


Sisters

 I walked my Mom to her car. She thought it was silly, but it was necessary. My Dad was taking care of his mother, so I took care of mine. :)

 My date for the day. Elara was a trooper through the really long day. And she was just as cute as can be.
 Cousins, Aunts, and an Uncle with Grandpa's casket. Probably only a quarter, if not less of the family.

With Grandma Gray! It's true when you loose someone you hug your family a little tighter. I was glad to give Grandpa Gray a hug, just wish I lived closer to Phoenix to go give Grandma and Grandad a hug down there.
 Uncle Greg and Dad walking Grandma Gray to the car. They are such good sons, don't let their faces fool you.
And what's a family gathering without making a fool of yourself playing games?
We met up at my Uncle David's house that night for family, fun, silliness.
This particular game was called pterodactyl.
And this is the reaction we were going for with my goofy face.
And the kids having a party downstairs watching shows and playing games.

 The fireworks from the 24th!

That's it. The End.

No comments: