Monday, August 26, 2013

Kael has glasses



Rocking the side view.

I decided it was time to take Kael to get a real eye check. The last time I went to get contacts before I had Elara they told me they love to see kids at around 12 months for their first visit. I personally think that's a little crazy. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for healthy eye care, but if there isn't something wrong then I feel when they start school it is an ok time to get checked out. Maybe I'm crazy though. 

At Kael's 4 year old check up they told me his left eye was not as good as his right eye. I just blew it off thinking well it was shapes and they are hard to see even with perfect vision. With kindergarten coming up and the insurance pays for one visit a year I figured why not. I needed to pick up some contacts anyway. Well, about 1 minute into the exam I noticed something was up. Kael did pretty good with his right eye. Then, they covered it up and did his left and I could see the letters getting bigger. Kael did great though. He held still, and did exactly what he was told. The optometrist did a full exam and everything!

It turns out Kael has about 20/40 vision in both eyes, which isn't horrible, and not quite bad enough to justify glasses, but then the optometrist said that he has astigmatism in his left eye. Oops. I guess a year ago when they said his left eye was worse it was the real deal. So, he got to pick out glasses that day. If the kid is lucky he won't have to wear the glasses after a couple years. Wearing the glasses should help strengthen his left eye and help it focus to help with the astigmatism while he is growing. I hope I understood everything correctly and I hope I shared it right. If not, just know Kael has glasses and I will faithfully get his eyes checked every year from now on. And Eden and Kael will be getting check ups in May before we move even though Eden will only be 4. Lesson learned.

The main point though. He looks so stinkin cute! A little goofy, but that totally fits his personality. He wore them all day today and didn't mess with them at all. I was shocked! They must fit pretty good and they must help him to see. I guess time will tell.

Love my little four eyes!

No comments: