Saturday, July 20, 2013

Grandpa Heaton

Volma Heaton
June 26, 1922 to July 20, 2013

My Grandpa Heaton passed away in the middle of the night. Elara has been struggling sleeping a lot lately. Between reflux, off schedule, and then getting sick it's just been rough. I had been asleep for about 30 minutes and was dreaming, of what I can't remember. All of a sudden I very clearly heard my name being spoken to me. "Sharice!" I woke up in a panic. My first instinct was to hit Derek and see what he wanted from me. But, then I stopped and knew Derek was sleeping, or at least he didn't say my name. I feel like this was a preparation for me of sorts. Grandpa got pneumonia and was in the hospital. He was 91. Being from a medical family, I knew that this probably was close to Grandpa's time. If he somehow recovered, I doubted to myself he would stay for long. Derek knew his time must be short. My Mom knew too. I crawled back into bed around 7 am after being up most of the night with the baby. Around 7:30 am Derek came home. He was going to the temple that morning. I was still up and said hi. He quietly came and kissed me, and told me that my Grandpa died in the middle of the night. It was one of the sweetest moments in my life. This moment solidified in my heart how good of a doctor my husband is going to be. I haven't lost anyone in my family before that was somewhat close to me. This was a first. And even still with 9 children and gazillions of grandchildren and great grandchildren you can imagine I haven't spent as much time with my Grandpa as I would have liked. I didn't cry. I just kind of smiled. Grandpa was home and he wouldn't have to suffer a long drawn out illness, or have a hard time returning home to Heavenly Father. Yes, I am sad. I want to remember today. I admit I have shed a couple tears, but they have been from seeing so many wonderful, happy memories shared by family members. Remembering so many happy, fun, loving times all coming from one man, My Grandpa! I was looking frantically for a picture of Grandpa this morning. I knew I had one somewhere. In my heart I knew I needed to find it. I did. Along with that picture came a letter I had written to Derek while he was away at officer training for the air force in June 2011. I remember writing Derek letters on the blog, but didn't realize I wrote this. It is perfect. It sums up my experience with my Grandpa.

http://www.dereksharicebradley.blogspot.com/2011/06/june-26-2011-grandpa-heatons-89th.html

I will just post the link. Here are some of my favorite comments from family today about Grandpa.

Shellianne wrote:
Good-bye Grandpa Heaton. You were the toughest person I knew with the biggest hands I'd ever seen. Family reunions will never be the same without you skunking everyone in canasta.

Cousin Tammy wrote:
Goodbye grandpa. We love you very much and you'll be greatly missed. You left a big mark on this world with the legacy you left behind and this world was made a better place with you in it. As for this little girl, you'll always be my real life John Wayne with hands the size of my head and a voice that always demands a smile. May your next adventure be just as great as this one. I can't wait to hear all about it when we see each other again.

So, I guess in closing, I really miss my John Wayne Grandpa with his big hands that did a lot of good on this earth. I really will miss you Grandpa. Till we meet again. Because I know we will, and what a reunion that will be! I just hope there is canasta in Heaven, because I know Grandpa will save me a seat.

No comments: