Tuesday, October 16, 2012

So long Fishy, Hello Seymore

So a while ago I posted we got a fish right before we left for Europe in June. Kael named him Fishy. We grew attached to Fishy the Fish. We revived him several times and brought him back to the living. Only just sometimes, but live he did. Then, one day I walked into Kael's room and Fishy was stuck head down in his castle. I thought for sure he was dead. He wasn't moving and it was weird and gross actually. I didn't know what to do, so I left him like that until Derek got home from the hospital. Derek used his man skills and got Fishy unstuck and low and behold he was alive! He got really scratched up and was not looking so good. We couldn't decide if we should end his poor life to save him grief. However, Fishy lived on. He is one tough fish.
Well, that was about two weeks before Elara came. Elara came and poor Fishy got neglected again... His tank got gross and he wasn't being fed a whole lot. Yet, live again he did. I got home from the hospital and decided his tank needed a little TLC and that it was time to take better care of Fishy. Well I got the cleaning stuff in the kitchen and started emptying the tank and my drugged up self forgot to take Fishy out of the tank before I dumped the water. Yes... I flushed Fishy down the sink...
So, after panicking because I told the kids what I was doing I decided we needed an emergency trip to petco. Thankfully Derek got home around 3, thank you psych rotation and I made him explain the situation to the kids and off we went. Kael's interpretation: "Fishy went to live with Heavenly Father, and Heavenly Father is going to take care of him and give him medicine. Now, I get to go get a new fish!"
He insisted on a red fish, so we got another Beta. Derek listed several names of what to name him, and Kael insisted on "Seymore". So, that's the story.
I'm still in shock about what I did, and still feel horrible. Thankfully the kids didn't seem to mind. They were just excited for a trip to petco. Probably not the first time I do something stupid like this and probably not the last... Anyway, I will miss Fishy even though he made me so mad about his health situation and I just wanted to flush him so many times, I just felt horrible that I was the one to end his life with HOT water down a drain... Oh well. Life goes on. 
AND, Seymore is such a more lively fish and I don't want to curse at him, so I think if I can get over killing my kids first pet, it was actually a fun and good thing.
Ok, I'll stop now.

Goodbye Fishy, Welcome Seymore!


No comments: