Sunday, January 23, 2011

One Day We Will Get There

Forewarning:
(A little too descriptive for some probably.)
So a couple of nights ago I was putting the kids in the bath and casually mentioned to Kael that if he wanted to go pee in the potty that would be awesome. Well come to find out he did. He shoved me out of the way in our tiny bathroom and went to work. I was NOT allowed to help him on the big potty and he did NOT want to use his little stool to step up on. He climbed on the toilet and mind you he puts ALL the seats up and refuses to sit on the seat. He got very serious and the next thing I know he is grunting like he is trying to go #2, and before I know it he is peeing in the potty. YAY! I was clapping and so happy and told him he could have a treat for going. We store the toilet paper on the top of our cabinets so Kael doesn't throw it all in the toilet and flush it, and he LOVES to flush toilet paper so I thought it would be a good reward. As soon as I stood up to get the toilet paper HE FELL IN! Completely. WORST NIGHTMARE coming true before my eyes with potty training. He started crying and screaming. I got him out and calmed him down, but pretty for certain he won't be going pee for a while now. He got to get treats for peeing and that made him super excited, and he got to throw toilet paper in the toilet. Not bad for peeing in the potty, but not so cool falling in.
What am I to do with the kid? I got him to try again the next night and he did sit for a while and tried and got two small drops out. It was impressive that he got back up there. He still is way scared and won't do it on his own anymore now though. I have a feeling it is going to be a long road. I'm trying not to push him, but I know he is close to being ready.
I have been letting him wear Buzz Lightyear underwear once a day until he pees in it. Ya gross I know, but he LOVES his underwear. He is starting to understand that is isn't ok to pee in underwear though. He always seems to pee on the tile in the hall which is easy to clean and honestly I don't really care as long as it isn't on the carpet, but he just stands there now and goes "Uh oh"! Where I let him try underwear once about 2 months ago and he peed and it didn't even phase him.
He is learning and that makes me happy. I'm not pushing it, but I hope it isn't too much longer until he is ready.
Go Kael go!

No comments: