Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fondant Fun


I have wanted to play around with fondant for a very long time now and was never brave enough to try. I decided I wanted to try to maybe make Eden's 1st birthday cake in fondant so I thought I better try it out before the big day. I really wanted the cake to be a lady bug, but I don't have round cake pans and I didn't want to have to buy any. So, I looked on the internet and found tons of great ideas.
I call Eden my little lady bug, and she has pink lady bugs on the walls in her room, so that's how the lady bug came to mind.
I made a marshmellow fondant and used food coloring to dye it, and a buttercream frosting to hold the cake in place (recipe on back of powdered sugar), and a chocolate devil's food cake. The lady bug on top of the cake is all fondant. I rolled out tootsie rolls for the dots on the bug. I think I would have just used fondant next time. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to dye the fondant brown, but I was successful and did the rest of the cake with brown fondant. I like how it turned out.
Easy, yes. Time consuming, yes. Two year old trying to get in the way, impossible. ;) (Kael smooshed part of the cake while it was cooling. Miraculously the fondant held it together.)
I felt like a little kid playing with playdough. I think I will stick to cupcakes for her birthday though even though I had a ton of fun making this cake.

1 comment:

Brian & Chelsey Hafen said...

Very cute. You should look at the DI for a round cake pan.