Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Beginning (Europe June 2012) June 16 - June 18thish

I guess I should start with my birthday. Derek left super early to go and take step 1. It was Saturday morning and I remembered, "oh ya, we need to pay rent before we leave for the rest of the month". So, to kill time that morning I packed up the kids and we walked to pay rent. Well, being super stressed about leaving, step 1, or just plain foggy brain we get to the main office and I remembered, "oh yeah, it's Saturday the office is closed"! It was hot and exhausting. I guess we killed some time though. We didn't have the car so we had to come up with things to do. So, we got home and we finished cleaning the house like mad people and packing our bags, and making a "Way to Go" poster for Derek complete with candy and all. I went a little over board on the cheesiness, but hey it was worth it. Derek didn't take long on his breaks so he was able to finish a little early, shortly after nap time! He came home and decompressed for a little while with kids jumping on him and we decided it was time to celebrate!!! We packed up and headed to "The Cheesecake Factory" for a celebration/birthday dinner. The kids did pretty well thanks to the ipod and kindle. Then, we let them go play at the City Creek food court where the dinosaurs are. We came home and let the kids play outside for a while and just tried to spend as much time with the kids as we could as we were about to leave them for the longest time ever the next day. After lots of snuggling and excitement about going to Grandma and Grandpa Heaton's the next day we got the kids in bed and started packing like mad people again. We tried to get to bed early because we had a HUGE day ahead of us, and that was the birthday. Happy 27th. :)

Sunday mornning we packed up around 7, grabbed some McDonald's greasy breakfast and were on the road. We go to Grandma and Grandpa's early and the kids loved playing with all the new toys. Grandma came home from church early, and we ate and played and then it was time to say good bye. The kids hugged me out the door with have fun Mom and waved their cute little arms at me. I think I did good holding back the tears until almost to the car. Then, we were off to Vegas. The flights were good, but long and we were exhausted already from driving about 7 hours and getting all checked in. Luckily I didn't get motion sick for pretty much the entire time! We got to Dresden around 6 PM German time and got our rental car and headed straight for the hotel. We made good time and were able to get some food (my meat jello meal) and then get to bed early. I don't think Derek slept the entire flight there... Oh, and welcome to the world of  no air conditioning... Welcome to Europe!


No comments: