Friday, April 13, 2012

My 2nd Doctor's Appointment and The Funniness of Kael

Is funniness a word? Oh well.
I wish I could put all the funny things Kael and Eden say on the side of my blog, but there are too many of my favorite pictures over there, so I'll just write them here.

I had my second doctors appointment today and since it was a "complete" exam I decided to bring the kids this time. It was so much fun having them with me! When I was pregnant with Eden, Kael was still so little that it didn't make any sense. My first appointment with Eden Kael was only 13 months old. My last, he was 19 months old. He mostly ran around like a crazy person in the room, or played with his cars.

This time, both kids were SUPER excited to see the fish! The pediatricians office is just a step from the OB doctor in the University of Utah hospital. The pediatrician's office has a fish tank and so does the OB. We pass both when going to the kids doctor. They talked about the fish the whole car ride. My kids love love love going to the doctor. It is too funny. I think Derek has prepared them well to love doctors by all the mini practice exams he lets them do. Kael loves the stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, otoscope, and opthalmoscope! Anything doctor. He loves holding still while Dad looks at his ears. Eden too.

Kael thought this visit was for him so when we got there he took his shoes off to be weighed. I had to tell him, it's mom's turn this time bud. Then, I had to get a urine sample, and of course he had to pee as well. Don't worry I didn't let him pee in a cup. Then, they took my blood pressure, and he said, "My turn!" And he held out his arm for a hug. The nurse was really nice and let him and Eden both get their blood pressure taken. Then, when the doctor came in he said, "My ears hurt, will you look at them?!" The doctor was super nice, and yes, she looked at Kael's ears. Then, the doctor was going to measure my stomach and Kael said, "My tummy hurts too. Mine next." Yes, Kael got his tummy measured. All the way around it was 33 centimeters. :)

He held up his shirt and everything. At this point I convinced Eden to play on the kindle and not have to copy everything like me too. Then, the doctor got the doppler and was going to listen to the baby's heart beat. I was pretty excited because we haven't been able to do that yet. I am 13 weeks 1 day today, so it for sure should be possible. With Kael we heard it at 12 weeks and he had an anterior placenta, and with Eden who had a posterior placenta we heard it at just 10 weeks! So, I figured for sure today was the day. The doctor kept saying, we are going to listen to the baby in Mommy's tummy.

"Our plan for the kids"
Derek and I have decided to not try to explain ANYTHING to the kids yet. 1. It is so early you can't tell there is a baby in my stomach. 2. We haven't had the 20 week ultrasound to make sure baby is 100% ok. 3. Remember Disneyland and the countdown with the chain 2 months in advance? Well try explaining you get a baby, but not for 6 months... Ya, I'm not doing a chain for 6 months. We are going to try to wait until the last possible day to tell them. I'm hoping August!
4. I really don't think they'd understand all that well yet anyway...

So, here I am thinking, please stop saying this, I really don't want my kids to think there is a baby in there yet, and then have to explain things they aren't going to get yet, and I have a plan... Thankfully Kael was in his own world and didn't pay too much attention to her. He just thought my belly hurt or something.

So, the doppler picked up my heart beat and the doctor couldn't find the baby's. In my opinion she didn't try very hard. She tried for about a minute and kept it in the same place. When we were looking for Eden's heart beat the doctor did it all over my stomach, went quick low because I was still early, and ended up finding it way up high because she was higher than we thought. The doctor got the worried face and I thought she was going to find someone else to try and find it, but she was looking for the ultrasound machine.

I still wasn't worried, but I was excited because that meant I got to see the baby again! It also just proves how stubborn this baby is and determined to do everything different! The doctor then kept saying, "We get to see a picture of the baby in Mommy's tummy!" Kael didn't really get that either. He was just excited for TV!
So, she brought in the ultrasound machine and immediately pulled up the baby. Kael was sitting at my feet. The doctor kept saying, "Can you see the baby?". Kael couldn't see well, but he sat up and pointed and said, "Look, a MONSTER on the TV!"
Yup, and that is why we have not explained that there is a baby in Mommy's tummy.

The baby's heart beat was awesome and the peanut was super wiggly!
All in all, I was so glad I brought the kids. It was nice having the company, and they are too cute! I am now switching from my OB to a midwife. I'm super excited and my OB was so nice about it. I had my appointment with her today to make sure my ultrasound from all my pain was ok. It was really good, I did have a cyst on my left ovary that was small and not important, but the rest was fine. I have the best hematocrit I've had since before I got pregnant with Kael (37). When I was pregnant with Kael I was anemic and only at 28. Big difference this time. So, now that I know everything is ok with baby, I feel ok moving to a midwife. I want to try and have a natural labor, and with Derek being in med school I decided that having a midwife at my side during my labor will be super helpful!
I'm getting more and more excited each day for this baby! I know this is going to be a great addition to our family and am feeling so blessed to be a Mom again!

POST EDIT:
After picking up Derek from school in the car Kael told Derek that we went to the doctor and there is a monster. Then, during dinner Kael was telling Dad there is a dinosaur or dragon in Mom's belly.
And last, at bed time Kael told me that there was a baby in his tummy and a monster in Mommy's... We then had a LONG talk that there is NO baby in Kael's tummy, just food. And that YES there is a baby in Mommy's tummy. Then Kael curled up into the fetal position and said "this is the baby!" Where we then had to re go over no monsters, dragons, or dinosaurs in Mom's belly, just a baby and we won't see it for a VERY long time... I'm not sure any of it made any sense to the kid, and I'm certain we are in for a LONG 6 months. Hopefully he forgets SOON.
I'm excited that he is so excited though. He even told me his sister is in Mom's belly. We shall see... ;)
Thank you doctor for this eventful day and future 6 months.

No comments: