Friday, February 25, 2011

Keep Moving Forward

So Kael and Eden have been sick all week and it has been a LONG week. I've been reflecting a lot and here are some thoughts.
I am a blog stocker.
That looks weird. But yes. I am a blog stocker. I don't read the blogs that you would think would be helpful to a crafty stay-at-home mom, such as couponing, cooking blogs, sewing blogs, or how to decorate your house with no money. Nope. I don't read those blogs. I read people's lives. It makes me a true time waster and blog stocker. However, I'd like to think that reading other people's lives gives me a little incite to my own crazy life. I feel empowered by the way other people live their lives, and it makes me want to be a better person. I know that the lives that I read about are not perfect, and I know mine certainly is not. However, it's kind of like reading an inspirational quote for the day to give myself a pick-me-up. I think I sound lame, but oh well.
Anyway, this past week I read a friend's blog from here in the village. In summary it was about doing hard things.
Here's a quote because I liked what she said so much.
"We have all done hard things in this life. It is what builds our character. At times it is easier to crawl back into bed where it is comfortable, warm and familiar. It is this "doing hard things" that I wish to teach to my children. I don't believe that it is ever too early to teach our children the value (and fun) of work. There is not a time that is better than others to be an example of persistence and success. Or giving up and failing. (Which ever it is, our children see it.)
...
I often reflect on my own experiences that were difficult, but worth it. I know I can do hard things because I have done them. They are my life's journeys to who I am. And whatever is to come, I welcome the challenge and growth that will follow!"

Anyway, my point for posting this quote is because lately, life seems really hard for some reason. Maybe it's the lack of sleep, or what not, and I only have about 25 more years of this lack of sleep I would imagine before my kids let me sleep again, who knows. It was just nice to reflect and think back on the hard things in my life that I have accomplished.
Such as:
  • Going to the Philippines for 11 months at 16 years old.
  • Moving to college.
  • Getting accepted to nursing school.
  • Dated.
  • Found the guy of my dreams, and married him.
  • Gave birth to 2 beautiful children.
  • Held church callings.
  • Volunteered and worked in the emergency room.
  • Learned from hard mistakes.
  • Made bad habits into good habits.
The list can go on and on if I thought hard enough. The point is that if I didn't work for these things in life, I couldn't learn from them. Work and overcoming trials in our lives help us to grow and develop who we are.
So why am I not working harder?
Instead of laying in bed this morning, or grabbing my blanket and lying on the couch while the kids jumped on me, I got up. I got dressed. I played with my kids.
You know what?. I feel better today.
We've been watching a lot of movies because the kids have been sick. Toy Story marathons, Cars, and recently Meet the Robinsons. I love the quote from Disney "Keep Moving Forward". As long as we are moving forward and trying each day to work a little harder, and keep trying, I think we are going to make it.

Here are some awesome pictures of my amazing kids. We got vanilla pudding and mixed it with food coloring, and made some finger painting. It was so worth the huge mess.

2 comments:

Nate and Sum said...

Fun post! I love the pudding idea. I want to do that with my kids.

Trav and Amanda said...

What a fun mom you are! Pudding finger paint!