Tuesday, August 01, 2017

February 2017 "The Funeral"


So, what do you do when you get the phone call that your Dad has passed away? You jump on the next plane out of town is what you do... Derek came home right away and we were on a plane that night to get to Utah. I think there is a reason kids have cousins, because it makes the sad things not so sad for them. We spent the next days preparing for the funeral on Saturday only 4 days away while the kids were able to see cousins and play and have fun. Derek was super Dad/Uncle and spent most of the time watching kids so that I could be with my siblings and Mom. The outpour of love and support was truly amazing. 



We were all pretty tired most of the time even the kids. Poor Derek even caught a bug and pushed through anyway fevers and all.
 On February 2 we decided we wanted to go see Zion and some snow so a bunch of us piled in the car to escape everything and when we got there we found that the bumbleberry pie was closed and so were most places. We finally found a place to eat and some snow to play in. It was a beautiful drive to remember all the good things. My amazing friend Ashley was once again there for us through all the hard times. She was there when we needed help when Connor was born and she was there for the funeral. We were able to stay at her parents home and her family provided much needed relief. Ashley took on watching all the grandkids during the funeral day and was an amazing support.
 
Ashley and me in one of my favorite places in the world. Zion.

Best cousins: Elara, Kenna, and Jenna
 On February 3 my Mom was worn out. It had been a long 3 days leading up to this point. That day we needed to go to the funeral home in Kanab to dress my Dad. They were originally going to have my Mom and the boys go, but instead it turned out all 7 of us siblings took on that task. Derek and Dwayne stayed with all the kids and Janice and Nicole stayed with my Mom. Derek took some pretty good pictures of the cousins having fun.
All 7 of us in the van on the way and back to Kanab. Seeing Dad was one of the hardest emotional times. I was glad to have my 6 siblings  with me. I was also really glad I had the chance to see Dad before the funeral and have a chance to prepare. I know I'll get to see my Dad again, but the physical loss is still very real and painful. I'm grateful families can be together forever. And I'm grateful for the earthly family I have to help me get through this life. I'm truly grateful for Derek for the family we are creating. Families are of God. They are an eternal unite to help us get back to our Heavenly parents. They are here to help and support us and I can't think of a better way to do that on earth. Family is sacred and I'm so grateful for mine.


February 4
Funeral Day
My eternal family



It was a long, but beautiful day. It was under such hard circumstances to see old friends and family, but I was grateful for the effort everyone put in to be there for my family.
We had the viewing in the morning and then the funeral. After the funeral we went to Moccasin for the burial. My Mom asked me to talk about why my Dad chose to be buried in Moccasin. I was up in the middle of the night coming up with just the right thing to say. And I hope it was what Dad would have wanted.
Moccasin was beautiful that day. It always is beautiful tucked in between mountain, but the snow was perfect. My kids love snow and Connor was able to see snow for the first time in his life on this trip. It wasn't ice fishing with Grandpa, but Grandpa was there.

Why Moccassin:

Probably the most often asked questions in this life are: "who am I and where did I come from?".

Well, Dad knew who he was and he knew where he came from.

Every time we ran into someone new who recognized the name "Heaton", Dad was ready. He would spit out his genealogy in a heart beat. And sure enough by about the end of the conversation he would have traced back a relation more times than not.

Dad loved being connected to others. He knew that we are all brothers and sisters of a Heavenly Father.

So when I think of why Dad would want to be buried in Moccasin I know it is a place where he is connected. Moccasin is a special place for the Heaton family.

A little "Heaton" family history.

"Jonathan Heaton
Son of William and Esther Bilby Heaton was the 3rd of 6 boys.
At 17 he married Clarissa "Amy" Hoyt
And Later married Lucy Elizabeth Carroll.
Amy had 15 children and Lucy had 11 making a total of 26 children Jonathan had. Amy lived in Orderville and Lucy lived in Moccasin.
Daniel Hoyt Heaton was Dad's Grandpa
And Volma W. Heaton was my Grandpa."

Great great Grandpa Jonathan lived out here and even though we come from the Amy Hoyt Heaton side the family was always connected and spent a lot of time in Mocassin because they were all family.

When I was just barely 8 years old I remember driving back home to Phoenix and stopping in Moccasin. We were visiting Dad when an opportunity came to move into the area and Dad wanted us to stop and meet some of our "family". He went to church and kept the program. He wanted to show us look at the bishopric, the relief society, the music every part and see all the Heaton's and we are connected to just about everyone out there.

My first impression of Moccasin was one of love.
I remember often asking Dad in later years when I was sometimes sad from the rough transition of a move away from everything I knew why?! Why did we come here Dad?

He would sit me down and tell me how important it was for me to know who I am and where I came from.

Moccasin is a place where Dad just belonged.

I believe Dad wants to remind us to always remember we are connected. We can all trace our roots back to each other in some way and that truly makes us brothers and sisters.

When you are in Moccasin, you are family.

When we really miss Dad, he wanted to give us a reason to come home; come home remember who we are and where we came from.

No comments: