Thursday, June 04, 2020

March 2020

March was such an incredible month. SO many fun times, challenging, and new life experiences happened in March 2020 including the onset of our first world pandemic.

To begin the kids were given a gift for Christmas to go horse back riding.
We finally were able to accomplish that on Saturday March 7, 2020.
We went to the Fort Sam Houston Equestrian Center and the ladies and horses there were amazing. I'm pretty sure Eden was in heaven and would have stayed there forever if she were allowed.

Kael and Eden got to go on a about an hour long ride around Fort Sam and I led Connor and Elara around on a horse. If only horses weren't so expensive to take care of. I wish the kids could have riding lessons, but I think we will stick to the occasional opportunity to go out on horses. Our family has a deep love of all animals and horses are extra special!
It was a great way to begin spring break.






As spring break began the coronovirus or Covid-19 was trickling into the United States. Italy and Spain were beginning to get hit especially hard. This was making life very uncertain. We weren't sure what would happen here in the United States, and so we were very grateful we planned a fun filled San Antonio spring break when we did.
On March 11th we went to The Witte Museum. It was more fun than I was anticipating. The big dinosaur bones were fun, the ancient people were weird, but I loved seeing my kids know all the answers to the human body. All four kids answered several questions, even Connor. Elara loved explaining all about the digestive and renal systems. 
Before we went to the museum Elara had an eye appointment and got her eyes dilated. It turns out the girl has astigmatism and needed glasses for being far sighted. She found the two perfect pairs for her, and we order them and headed to the museum where she got to wear Mom's sunglasses the rest of the day so the world wouldn't be quite so bright. She was very excited to get those glasses.
On Thursday March 12th we went to the San Antonio Aquarium.
It was AMAZING! The kids could touch SO many animals!
 Who doesn't love a goofy photo?



 To name a few of the animals the kids were able to touch and not in any order: Baby alligator, bunnies, iguanas, turtles, koi fish, sting rays, alpacas, goats, and birds. 
This place was incredible. Staff were walking around with animals. The kids could walk in a koi pond and have them tickle their feet. Hug alpacas that were SO soft! 

It smelled pretty bad, and looked like an old warehouse, BUT it was amazing. I definitely recommend checking this place out if you go to San Antonio. Just being able to touch so many animals was well worth it! Kids need to be able to touch and feel and see how animals interact. 


















 On March 13th we headed up to Pinkston's and got to celebrate Eden a little. Uncle Rob took the kids for a tractor ride.
We brought up cupcakes to celebrate Eden's birthday and anyone who wanted to smash cake on their face.



Dearest Eden,
I am still in shock that it has been 10 years since we got to welcome you into this world. What an amazing 10 years it has been. Your wide eyed enthusiasm catches like wild fire. You are a joy. You are our fun, silly, animal loving, food loving tween girl. You are the best big sister and Elara follows your every move. You work hard at school. You are artistic and creative and think outside the box.

You are always looking for the next big adventure. You are doing great with piano. You have told me you want soccer to be your sport. We shall see. You have come so far with gymnastics and it was so hard to have to put it on hold for Covid 19, but you haven't complained. You have a light that shines, and you are positive and make even the hardest situations in life seem less difficult. You are growing up before my eyes and I feel like if I blink I'm going to miss something. We love you Eden. You share joy and beauty wherever you are. You truly are your name. Mom and Dad and all of us love you!
Remember who you are. Keep growing, challenging yourself, and always striving for more because you are so very capable and strong.
Love you,
Mom and Dad
 She wanted red velvet this year, and flowers, and I don't think this cake disappointed. I really love baking cakes with the kids for their birthday and probably next year Eden will be making her own.
Connor may have thought it was his birthday. He cannot wait to turn 5 next month!
When Elara got her new glasses everything went into lock down mode that day, but we somehow were able to grab her glasses before things shut down, and she just had to get a picture right away.
I got some new glasses too.
The last half of March began virtual school at home. I am so grateful Kael decided to be homeschooled this year because it made the transition probably a little smoother for our family. Derek was required to stay home to work, and we were basically on stand by that if the virus got bad enough in the country he could either deploy somewhere else, or start having to work in ICU beds. We prayed a lot the situation wouldn't get that bad, and really enjoyed having him work from home. It was an incredible couple of months having him closer, and we will forever be grateful for the family time we got in isolation at home together!
 For Derek's birthday in February he got a virtual reality game machine. We all enjoy playing on it. My personal favorite it beat saber where you dance with light sabers basically.



 Derek took up indexing for family history work since being home more on Sundays. It has been inspiring. I found this picture of my great great grandfather Jonathan Heaton, and I feel like he looks so much like my Dad when he was younger.
We started going to the track for PE during the month of March and April before we eventually got kicked out. Kael set a goal to run a 6:45 mile. He did it once and then struggled to hit 6:45 again, but he did meet his goal and I'm so proud of him. The girls set running goals as well. Eden got an 8 min 45 second mile and Elara got under 10 minutes! I love that my kids try to do hard things physically, and mentally. They are so tough!
 This kid cracks me up.



I was going to sit in my van one morning and almost sat right in this web. It went from the steering wheel to my seat belt. So gross. We have tiny spiders all over the outside, and now sometimes on the inside of our vehicles.
We purchased a table, and it became my project. Kael, Derek, and Heidi all pitched in to help me and teach me new things. I am SO glad I did this project! I love my new table, AND I learned so many new wood working things that I can't wait for my next project. I'm just waiting to get to Alaska to do them all now!
 The final product! Table, benches and chairs all sanded, stained, and painted how I wanted!
 I LOVE MY NEW TABLE!
 And we can't not get a pug with a leaf on their tongue every once in a while.

No comments: