Saturday, August 10, 2019

Derek's April 2019 in pictures

Operating room staff in Bagram.
This is Derek facetiming. He was so faithful in trying to call every Sunday morning if possible and chat with each of the kids. There usually wasn't much time for me after, but I could text him and chat throughout the week sometimes briefly, but he was so good about Sunday morning kids chats if he wasn't in the middle of a big case.
Even half way around the world he still managed to get me fresh flowers for our anniversary. I love him so much and can't believe how lucky I am to have someone so compassionate and thoughtful who cares so much about me even while he is going through so much.

Where's Waldo?




The middle of April, Derek hit the 6 month mark of being away. It was a LONG journey, but finally the very end of April marked his official journey to coming home!

I was trying hard to prepare for a delayed journey and to avoid disappointment I didn't even write his departure times or anything on my calendar so I wouldn't get upset when of course it got delayed, but thankfully not by more than days!
He did it! A long, hard, successful 6 plus months in Bagram. 

Words don't express my awe and amazement at the wonderful human being Derek is. I'm terrible with words, but trying to describe the type of person he is could take me years of stumbling over my inadequate language. To be simple and frank, Derek is a remarkable person, father, husband, friend, cousin, nephew, son. In every aspect of his life he strives to be a good person and to uplift those around him. His life is continuously about sacrifice. He sacrifices for his patients, friends, family, military, church, his God, and everyone he meets he gives a little of himself. Having Derek gone I feel humbled to learn more about true sacrifice. To sacrifice part of your life for a greater cause. We will never forget the fallen soldiers he encountered during his deployment, or his time in the military. It is because of them we have learned more about true sacrifice. 

I love Derek so much. I am so grateful he chose me to be at his side throughout this life. I feel blessed to be on this journey, and that our children have such a wonderful father and example for them. We didn't choose an easy life, but life isn't suppose to be easy, and I wouldn't want to be next to anyone else along this crazy journey. One deployment down.

No comments: