Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Derek's February 2019

Derek had better make his own journal for while he was away because it was full of so many cool memories and I'm going to mess it up and get it all out of order.
This was the church building Derek would go to church on Sundays whenever he got a chance, which surprisingly seemed like more than during residency because someone would come and relieve him for a break for an hour or so since church was only an hour while he was gone. I'm so grateful he could attend church while deployed. I am so grateful our countries military sets up these opportunities. Being spiritually uplifted I think is so important especially while they are doing their military jobs where life isn't so great.

 If I understood correctly Bagram gets missiles shot at it all the time, so at any given moment while trying to get from one place to another you may have to cover in place, so they have these bomb shelter type structures all around the base for you to duck and cover if you are out and about when an alarm goes off.

 Bagram has 4 seasons and it snowed a lot this winter. It even has mountains in the background.
 I guess they had times when they had to wait outside for a drill to end and sometimes you got stuck out in the cold if you didn't have a jacket. This time it was snowing and cold. One of the first snows if I remember right.
 Derek got these build your own metal tie fighter kits. They are SUPER cool and took a lot of work, but that is something he could do on his down time when he was on call. I have no idea how he did it, but I love the end product and hope they make it home with him.


 There was a family medicine doctor who did acupuncture so Derek went to him to try and sleep better. Apparently it hurts as much as you think it would. And I guess putting pins in your ears is for sleep?? I'm good no thanks!
 Derek got to go out on a "guys" night and they went to this nicer facility for government officials and they got a really nice dinner and not just cafeteria food. I'm so glad he could have opportunities like this while he was away. There wasn't much time for play, but it's a nice little break every once in a while.

 He makes me so proud. I'm so grateful for him serving our country and doing his part. It isn't an easy job, but in the end it can be rewarding knowing we served our country as a family. Sacrificing for others is so important in this life. We have been so blessed that we can give a little back. I love this man so much! He is our world, and we shared him with the military.


No comments: